Tuesday, March 23, 2010
My husband's co-worker and his wife just bought a new house and we're super excited for them! My husband thought it would be fun to send them a card (even though they see each other at work all the time) so they could get fun mail at their new address. What a sweet idea. But could I just send a card? No, of course not.
So I made a set of 8 coasters using Amy Butler's Midwestern Modern. And they are adorable, if I do say so myself. These make a simple but thoughtful handmade gift and there are a million possible variations.
If you're so inclined to make some for a gift (or for yourself) they're super easy. Here's a quick how-to...
1. Using your rotary cutter, cut 4 1/2" square pieces of fabric (2 per coaster) and batting (1 per coaster).
2. Stack your squares with batting on the bottom, and the 2 pieces of fabric on top, right sides together.
3. Stitch around the edges using a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a 2" gap for turning.
4. Trim corners, turn right side out and push out corners.
5. Press and stitch close to the edge (and in the middle if you want). Done!