Monday, June 14, 2010

Quilted Duvet Cover...with how-to

Let's say you would love a homemade quilt on that bed of yours but just can't find the time to make one (if you're like me...).
But you also love your fluffy warm comforter and don't want to part with it.
It sounds like you need a quilted duvet cover!

{edited to add: if you want to know how I made the quilt top, here are directions
http://handmademommy.blogspot.com/2010/06/quilt-top-pattern.htm}


Admittedly, Curious George may not be your taste, but it is a dream come true for my girlfriend Mya's 3 year old son. She asked me waaaay back when if I could make something for his bed and I eagerly signed up. It's taken me an embarrassingly long time to finish it {blush}but at least you get a quick how-to out of it.


You'll need...
a quilted top
a big piece of cheap muslin to back the quilt top
a piece of fabric big enough for the backing (a flat sheet will probably work but check dimensions first)
a handful of buttons

First make a quilt top in the right size for the top of your duvet (measure your comforter and add a couple inches to width and length + seam allowances).
Don't you love how that only takes one step in this how-to??


Next, use quilter's basting spray to adhere the quilt top to a large piece of muslin. Use the cheap unbleached muslin because it will be on the inside of the duvet. Sew the muslin and top together. I just sewed along the horizontal seams of the quilt top.
Here is the front and back of your quilt top sandwiched together with the muslin. 


 Hem the bottom of your duvet by folding 1/4" towards the muslin, then again, and sewing.


 Place your backing wrong sides together with your quilted top and stitch the top opening (head of the bed) and sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance. Clip your corners.

Turn your duvet wrong side out and stitch the top and sides together using a 3/8" seam allowance.
French seam: check.
These steps don't make for very exciting pictures, but I trust your skills.

Add the buttonholes to your top and buttons to the backing along the bottom to close it up.
Hint: get a buttonhole foot! It will make buttonholes a breeze!


 If you make your top about 2" longer than your backing, you can create a nice little pocket closure at the bottom (foot of the bed).It will look like this. It's not necessary but sure does look nice.


And if you want a matching pillowcase to go with your duvet, this tutorial is great over at Film in the Fridge.
Really, what is a custom duvet without a coordinating pillowcase?


Here's the whole package...
(laid out on my son's full size bad because we don't have a twin in the house)



If you're making it for a dear friend, bundle it up and take the circus to the post office!
(let me tell you how much fun it is to stand in a 20 minute line with 2 kids who refused naps and bounced around the place like Mommy gave them a bag full of sugar...)

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Very cute! I really, really need to get a button hole foot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't hardly wait to get it and put it on our boys bed! Thank you for all the love you put into this, it will be cherished for years! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this duvet! Thanks so much for sharing it. I'm off to design one for my little man for his big boy bed!

    www.rockiescrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S.

    Would you be willing to share the pattern for the quilted top?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rockie, I'm so glad you like the duvet! And I would be more than happy to share the pattern. I made drawings and wrote down all my dimensions but I have to find the paper...you can email me with any questions (email address in my profile) and I'll work on putting together the dimensions for a post. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! I stumbled here after Googling "quilted duvet cover". This looks great, just what I'm looking for. . I'm wondering if you think it would work to use a fully quilted quilt and then make it into a duvet cover? I want to make a solid color quilt (no little pieces, just one sheet of fabric), then quilt a map onto it in contrasting stitches. But I want to use it on our bed and we love our duvet. Do you think the quilt would be too thick to work for this? If not, I was thinking you could just take the duvet out in the heat of summer and button it back up for a lighter option!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great. Do you have any other Quilted Bed Covers design for girls?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

More Handmade Goodness

Related Posts with Thumbnails