Tuesday, February 3, 2009

holy cow

I actually got a response from my congressman (!) and pasted it below. Fortunately, enough people have voiced concerns that revisions are being considered to the CPSIA and certain testing requirements will be delayed a year while they work out exceptions/revisions.

I love this country. I love that we can speak up in disagreement and be heard. I am so proud to be an American.

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts regarding consumer safety. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you on this issue.

As you know, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA) (P.L. P.L. 110-314) is scheduled to be implemented on February 10, 2009. This law establishes consumer safety standards and requirements for children's products and will be implemented and administered by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

Like you, I believe that this law, while favorable with respect to enhancing the effectiveness of the CPSC, has several provisions that may be harmful to American small businesses. As a previous small business owner myself, I am well aware of the many obstacles small businesses are forced to overcome. I am encouraged, however, to learn that the CPSC has made a recent effort to listen to the concerns of those in small business and is currently reviewing the Act's impact on second-hand retailers, hobbyists, and small manufactures. Recently, the CPSC announced that they will postpone certain testing requirements for one year allowing for more time to finalize several proposed rules. For more information, I encourage you to visit their website at www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html.

Additionally, it is my understanding that Republican leadership of the House Energy and Commerce Committee has requested a hearing on these specific concerns. While it remains uncertain whether House Democrats will allow these issues to be discussed before February 10, I assure you that I will keep your specific thoughts firmly in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

More Handmade Goodness

Related Posts with Thumbnails