I mentioned in my last post that I made 2 versions of Heather Ross' free pattern. Here is what happened to the first trial...
I made the dress in the medium/large and it was too big. Just too much fabric for my frame/height. And, as cute as it is, I am not very comfortable in the strapless smocked version. But I lovedlovedloved the fabric (specialty quilting cotton, 108" wide fabric, super soft) and didnt' want to scrap the time I put in.
So...I folded the shirring section in half, sewed it in place with a wide zig-zag, added a halter top, and hemmed it up about 6 inches.
The halter is really just a rectangle of fabric doubled over and wrapped around my neck. It is so comfortable!