Monday, November 30, 2009

Done!

I finished the red queen size quilt today (my paying gig)! Yeah! I had given my friend's mother-in-law a finish date of 12/4 and I am officially ahead of schedule for once. It took me 3 weeks from the time I got the materials, and I actually lost a week of work time because the backing turned out to be too small and she had to get me a different piece of fabric. I'm not sure I've ever finished such a large project so quickly. Cash is apparently a great motivator for me. :) And I have to admit that I pushed hard to get it done early since Christmas gifts are nagging at me.

Here are a couple of my favorite parts of the quilt...

front
back

The quilt was made up thirty 11" squares, each of them different. I ran two rows of stitches along every border strip between the squares and then quilted a unique design inside each square. It was a beast to do but I learned a lot. And if anyone out there ever gets the urge to do this, please please please get a free motion foot first. I could not have done it without mine.

front
back
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Wow, really impressed with your quilting! I just finished quilting my third quilt ever. I think I'm getting the knack, finally. Just have to figure out how to get the backing to stay smooth (I must need to stretch and tape it more). Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anna! One of my secrets is quilter's basting spray. Highly recommend it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

More Handmade Goodness

Related Posts with Thumbnails