Sunday, March 25, 2012

What's a girl to do...


...when her guys go camping for the weekend and it's just mom and baby? If you're me, you rest, giggle with said baby lots and lots, and hang out with friends at a birthday party.
Oh, and you sew. Of course.

My 5 year old asked me a couple months ago to please make "special" quilts for him and his brothers. That's 3 quilts, which all need to be the same size and similar enough so no one feels cheated... So, after the baby went down and before I put on a cheesy movie, I experimented with some quilt blocks. I made 3 different blocks (each about 7" square) with the same fabrics and am kind of in love with them.

{variation on a log cabin block}


 {disappearing 9 patch block, a very diminutive one}


 {have no idea...saw it here}

Most likely, each quilt will get one block incorporated into the back while the quilt top will be much simpler otherwise their quilts may never get done. I've never made "real" quilt blocks before. Usually, I do more free form quilts that I design as I go, so this was fun to play with.

I take pictures. He snacks. That's how we roll.


If you get the urge to try out a block, you can head to Cluck Cluck Sew for the 9 patch and Mama Love Quilts  (great blog I just found!) for an improv log cabin (mine is sort of a hybrid between traditional and improv).

ps: if you know the name of the last block, could you tell me??
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Kari, these are adorable! I love the bright fabrics you used. Those fussy cut robots are too cute! I'm so glad you found the tutorial helpful. I can certainly understand why you'd keep the front simple and put the blocks in the back. What sweet gifts these quilts will make for your boys!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

More Handmade Goodness

Related Posts with Thumbnails