Friday, May 4, 2012

Mod Lego Cake


{the cake with our birthday boy's latest creation}

Tomorrow is the Lego party and we are in full party prep mode around here! 
Usually, I pride myself on low-key, simple birthday parties...but this one got away from me somehow.

I was determined to make a cute cake and started out with this super cute one...
and I abandoned it. Right into the trash. 
I'm sure someone with more cake expertise could make it work,
but I am a seamstress first, baker almost last.

So I made a mod cookie-top Lego cake!

Enter the packaged cookie dough! You'll need one package of dough, flour for rolling out, a square cookie cutter (or even just a sharp knife), a box of cake mix, vanilla frosting and food coloring.

First, roll out 1/4 of the tube of dough into a big "cookie" and bake according to package directions.
(Do not use your cookie cutter!)

While it's baking, enjoy some caffeine because maybe your kids have been sick all week like mine.

Use your cookie cutter or knife AFTER baking, while the cookie is still warm, to get nice sharp edges.
 

 Forget that you're covered in flour and try to pet your dog.
(then wash your hands!)

While the cookies cool completely, mix up vibrant Lego color frosting.

 Trace the bottom of your cake pan onto a brown paper bag for a "template."

Now would be a good time to bake up that cake mix.

 Play around with your cookies until you get a layout you like...

Frost your cookies up!
If you're lucky, you'll have a little helper who frosts the extra ones for you.
{I like to think I'm laid back, roll with it, blah blah blah, 
but for the keen observer, you'll see that I drew out a color coded cookie map before frosting them...}

After your cake cools completely, slice off the rounded top and frost the whole thing with homemade a can of frosting.
 

Arrange your frosted cookies on top of your cake...

Transfer to your serving tray and admire your craftiness!

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. It was delicious and oh-so-cute! Hope you got to try some. Missed chatting with you. Hope the birthday boy is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Allison! So glad you guys could make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think little m&ms on top of the sugar cookies would have been a cute touch too- but super cute and creative idea!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

More Handmade Goodness

Related Posts with Thumbnails