Monday, August 6, 2012

1st son, 6 years, 3 layers

We had a big milestone in our house this weekend...our oldest son turned 6! We had a little get together with family, eating on the patio, building new Legos, and relaxing. The craftiest part of it all was the cake. Before anything else, let me make it clear that I am not a serious baker but I do love to make special occasions really special. So, when my son gave me his very detailed vision for a 3-tier birthday cake, I just couldn't deny him a little bit of magic.

Our little man definitely knows what he likes, and he is nothing if not detail-oriented. The plan was as follows...
3 layers: a large round on the bottom, a smaller round above that, and a cupcake for the top
Raspberry filling in only the middle tier
Frosting on just the top of the cupcake
Chocolate cake
Vanilla frosting

Our camera lens is broken (softly weeping) so I did not take these photos.
Fortunately, my sister is a fabulous photographer who actually makes money doing it in both Chicago & Southern California.
Her business is AliMarie Photography (facebook page) and she has some seriously awesome stuff!

I may not have a camera, but I did get my hands on 2 boxes of cake mix, 4 cans of frosting, and managed to keep the swearing to a minimum to produce this!


And after all that work, it's only a few minutes from candle lighting to demolition.

Make a wish.


1-2-3-4-5-6. Just checking.


The hacking begins...


And the pictures just don't stop.


Not sure if this is the "right" way to hold together cake layers, but I had bendy straws on hand and they worked great.


The sign of a good cake. 


I hope you have something to celebrate this summer! 
And if you can add a little magic, do it!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

More Handmade Goodness

Related Posts with Thumbnails