Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Personal Space

So I read in all these wonderful craft blogs and sewing books about how you should set up your creative space. While it all makes sense to me and I love the idea of color-coordinating my threads and never unplugging or unthreading my machine, we've got a long way to go here.

Currently, I have my machine on a cheap card table and my fabrics and notions in 3 or 4 different places. You should see me work this way...I have to keep the presser foot just so to keep the machine from going too fast. If it does get too fast, it creates this crazy vibration with the table resulting in what I like to call sewing speed wobble. Seriously, my poor machine is bouncing up and down like crazy. It reminds me of that old movie footage where the bridge is flopping around in the wind and then disintegrates. Can't be good for the machine. Sure doesn't make it easy to see where you're going.

Needless to say, I'm stalking craigslist lately to find a cheap (maybe free!), big, possibly L-shaped desk to set up shop. I'll get to color-coordinating later. For now, I'd be happy just to not have my machine wiggle when I reach a good speed (read: very slow...).

Just sharing my latest little crafting dilemma. Hope you're all having a great week. The kids are in bed and I'm off to have a glass of wine and pizza with my man.

ps: Oh! I did make a summer top today during naps! I'll post pictures tomorrow once I hem it up. Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Kari, my mom had/has a special sewing machine table- I wonder if you could troll antique stores for one? Or online classifieds? Maybe a boutique-y fabric place would know of one. I remember that when my mom did her sewing back in the day she loved having that table. I'd have her give it to you but she lives in KS. :-( It's sitting unused- has for years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet, Nat! If I only lived in KS. :) I'll keep my eyes open at antique stores (which I love, but now avoid with 4 little hands to run up a bill).

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!

More Handmade Goodness

Related Posts with Thumbnails